Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Once in a Blue Moon


The decade is drawing to a close, not that anyone really gives a shit; that won’t happen for another decade. That’s when historians will look back on the “2 Ought” period for some sort of global significance. Interestingly enough…or not, something historic is going to happen on the last day of this soon-to-be historic decade. What type of phenomena is worthy of mention here you may ask…or not. For the record, 2009 is going out with a bang.

No, I’m not predicting someone will be shot this New Year’s Eve, though that’s bound to happen. You know, people who find the need to discharge their home arsenals into the air invariably hit some poor bastard unknowingly, or uncaringly, or both. The event this Thursday night is celestial. There is going to be a full moon.

Like you, I am fully aware full moons occur every twenty-nine days; no big deal right? But the full moon this Thursday night is the second full moon in the month of January, making it a blue moon. You’re probably saying to yourself right now, “So what, big deal;” along with, “Wade’s finally fucking lost it. Now he thinks a goddamn blue moon is something momentous. He really needs to get a life; as well as a firmer grasp of reality.” But before you jump to any conclusions concerning my mental stability, or instability, you pick; I also know that blue moons occur about every two and a half years. Thus, a “blue moon” is cited to denote “rarity.” One happening on New Year’s Eve is rarer still. However, I’ve never heard anyone use the expression “Once in a New Year’s Eve blue moon.” Now that I think about it, maybe now I will.

A New Year’s Eve blue moon occurs once every nineteen years. The next one will be on New Year’s Eve 2028. The harsh reality is I may not be here to see it. So yes, the full (blue) moon this Thursday night is a big deal to me. It’s also probably a big deal for police. There are more cops on duty when it’s New Year’s Eve. There are more cops on duty when it’s a full moon. How cops are going to be on duty on New Year’s Eve with a full moon is anybody’s guess. Maybe they’ll have to call in the National Guard?

Many of you who read this every week- I’ll wait for you to stop laughing- or even occasionally, are about half my age. You will experience many more blue moons, and a couple more will happen on New Year’s Eve. Don’t misinterpret my harbinger as if I have some sort of terminal disease. For the time being, I’m a picture of health under the circumstances. Still, nineteen years is nearly two decades.

The average checkout age of the American male is around seventy-six, for women, seventy-eight. Up until nine and a half years ago, I lived a life that was not conducive for longevity. Vehicular wrecks, smoking, alcoholism, drug abuse, and what best could be described as being “strung a little tight,” have all probably taken their toll on my anticipated life expectancy. Though optimistic, I maintain a loose sense of actuality.

Sure, we all know, or heard of, someone who smoked for sixty-five years, ate ice cream every night after a dinner of McDonald’s, and didn’t start drinking heavily until they retired, living to be ninety-two. That may very well happen, but I’m not counting on it. Besides, a lot can happen in nineteen years if the last nineteen are any indication.

Children that were born the year of the last blue moon on New Year’s Eve have graduated high school. Some have completed their first year of college. Some have even had children of their own.

Goals have been set and accomplished. Houses have been made into homes. Jobs have been changed, some of them with promotions and/or pay increases, some have been lost due the most recent economic downturn.

For some of us, there has been the pain of divorce and for some, the joy of remarriage. There’s been the delight of watching our children become fine adults. Some of us even have the pleasure of grandchildren. Yep, nineteen years is a long time, but it passes by with a swiftness that’s often very hard to comprehend. How many of us have ever said “Where did the last (fill in the amount of time) go?” Were we too busy to notice where it went?

This Thursday I plan on taking notice of that blue moon. I will take notice of the beauty of each Florida sunrise, and the majesty of each sunset. For my friends to the north, delight in the splendor of the next snowfall, rather than curse the shoveling and driving. I plan on continuing to do a lot of things that give me pleasure.

I will continue to try and make a stranger smile each day. I will continue to try being a better husband. I will continue to try being a good father. I will continue to try to improve myself so others may benefit. The opportunities for all these things are dwindling.

So this Thursday night as you ring in the New Year, take note of the moon outside. Think of where you were, and where you’ve been since the last New Year’s blue moon took place. Think of what you were doing, and think what you’ve done. Then think of where you want to go, and what you want to do before the next one comes. Remember, a blue moon only happens once in a blue moon.

No comments: