Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mea Culpa


This is not the piece I intended to write this week. I knew on Monday what the topic would be, and when Wednesday came, I started what I thought would end up as the blog I envisioned; the service appointment for my car. What happened was something I never imagined.

I never start a blog before the day I publish it here. Posting the same day gives me a sense of urgency. It teaches me to perform with a deadline hanging over my head. This week the deadline was attached to a guillotine, and my head was in a prone position.

I know my friend Cynn understands the quandary I faced this week. I set about to writing as I always do. Introduction, examples, conclusion; an informal version of the basic premise of academic writing; thesis, support, conclusion. Today, somewhere amid the support parts and explanations and examples in the form of humorous (or so I thought) anecdotes, something went drastically awry.

I have written blogs previously that I may one day develop into something more. Today I wrote something more, and don't want to post it as a blog.

My normal blog word count of no more than fifteen hundred came and went. At about three thousand words the clock read 3:00, and I knew I was done for. The blog took on a mind of its own. When one thing really did lead to another, I saw the makings of what I perceive to be a rather clever short story. Perhaps, once fully developed, it might even be worthy of submission somewhere. I've submitted stuff in the past with no luck. I'd reread what I sent in to determine where I went wrong. I vow to clean up the mistakes and try again. What was to be today's blog calls for a little more pro-activity.

I can't very well post what I wrote in its unfinished state.I also can't publish what I wrote as a "blog" with the full intention of what I hope will be so much more. Lastly, I can't expect those who read my weekly ramblings to wahdai through what may very well turn out to be over five thousand words. As I understand it,that's not what blog posts are for.

So for this week all I can offer is this sincerest apology for what I'm passing off as a poor excuse for a blog entry. I'll have something better next week. It may not be meaningful or relevant, but I hope it will certainly be worth spending the five minutes most of my blog postings take to get through.

If for some reason the piece I was working on all day does get published,; I'll let everyone who gives a shit know. If it doesn't, then maybe in the future I'll post it in separate installments so I don't bore you to death.

No comments: